Thread: When Is The Best Time of Year to Fish

When Is The Best Time of Year to Fish

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME OF YEAR TO FISH???
    Feb. 5, 2005

One of the frequent questions I hear is “What’s the best time of year to fish?” The simple answer to this question is “Anytime you can get on the water”. However, each month has pros and cons depending on what you’re looking for. Hopefully, the following breakdown will give you a better idea on what time(s) of year would best meet your fishing goals.

December/January has a lot of potential for fat trout and concentrated reds. The crowds are usually minimal and with good weather and perfect frontal timing fishing can be comfortable. January also has the potential for a fantastic top water bite. The drawback to January is the potential of cold, windy weather. Lockjaw is another potential problem. This time of year the fish are on a feed or off. Timing is critical. Another con for this time of year is the need to wear waders. Some adapt to this inconvenience better than others.

February/March/April is trophy trout time. If you’re looking for a wall hanger this is the time to be on the water. Topwater action can be unbelievable. The drawback is unpredictable weather normally accompanied with high winds. You must also be prepared for fewer bites. Patience with your retrieve is a must. Wearing waders continues to be a slight inconvenience. Bay traffic picks up a little.

May/June brings a more aggressive bite. If you’re looking for numbers this may be the best. The redfish begin to turn on at this time also. Trout are moving on to the deeper grass beds. With this comes deeper wading (chest deep). Large fish can still be caught. Top waters early and soft plastics later usually work the best. Crowds start to pick up as school lets out.

July/August can produce great red fishing. Trout are deep (chest/neck) with small ones plentiful. It’s a little more crowded especially around the three day holidays. Water temperature is comfortable but drift fishing can get a little warm. Look for early morning calm with winds picking up in the afternoon. Topwaters in the morning and plastics in the afternoon remain the pattern.

September/October/November finds the fish active. Trout are on the feed and flounder and redfish are on the move. Big trout can be caught in the fall. Crowds are down thanks to deer season and school starting back. Weather fronts again play a role in success.
    So what is the best time of year? The answer remains…anytime you can get on the water. I hope this recap helps. If you have specific questions or need more information please send me an e-mail

Capt. Charlie Farrell
    Sweet Spot Charters
    sweetspot@earthlink.net
    866-766-4881
    Last edited by shortbus; 02-11-2005 at 10:29 PM.
    Capt. Charlie Farrell
    Sweet Spot Charters
    www.sweetspotcharters.com

Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and anytime in between! Think that covers when I go.
    Fish Hard, Hunt Safe, and please take a kid with you!

Greg
    Nebraska

Amen Eye4!! The best time is when i'm out there...
    "I don't care how or what you hunt or fish, I'm the outdoor equal opportunist"

I really like the post-spawn for bass. I just think thats when the bucketmouths get the most active.

Whenever I get a chance! Husband likes fly-fishing.....