Page 1 of 120 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Bear Season

Administrator

Oklahoma Bear Season

State wildlife officials are probably going to seek to have a limited bear hunting season in southeastern Oklahoma in the fall of 2009.

At the request of state wildlife officials, the House Sub-Committee on Wildlife Monday voted unanimously to pass HB 3077, which will allow the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation to sell a special black bear hunting license.The cost would be $100 for residents and $500 for non-residents. The measure now goes to the full committee for a vote.But state wildlife officials are considering proposing a limited season where no more than 20 bears could be killed, he said. Once the quota is reached, no more hunting would be allowed, he said.

The black bear population is increasing in southeastern Oklahoma and state wildlife officials say the number of nuisance complaints from bears keeps rising.

"We are getting more complaints on them, calls about damage, bears tearing into a side of camper or trailer, Hatcher said. "We are getting some anecdotal evidence that they are reaching at least their social carrying capacity.

Students at Oklahoma State University have been researching the black bear population in southeastern Oklahoma for several years.

At least 200 and as maybe as many as 500 black bears are believed to reside in the forests of southeastern Oklahoma.

State Rep. Joe Dorman filed HB 3077 and hopes a hunting season would reduce the risk of human-bear interaction.
    Live, Love, Hunt and Fish

I don't understand why they would inact a "limited season", and as soon as the quota is met, they would stop?? If the bear population has exceeded the sustainable environment and they are becoming neusance animals, you would think the state would want to maintain a target level and issue a very limited amount of tags per year. Don't bears reproduce??
    "I don't care how or what you hunt or fish, I'm the outdoor equal opportunist"

Thats a good point but this doesn't mean they never will have a season. I guess it all depends on if the number of complaints go down.
    Take care of our Forests. The animals I like to kill live there.

Administrator

bear

I'm not sure how the quota thing will work out but I herd that it has to do with the number of cubs born in a year. They want to keep the numbers similar to what they are now. I wonder how this will work with a lifetime license holder, If this is included in a lifetime? I think it should be included just like everything else.
    Live, Love, Hunt and Fish

Being from southern Latimer County in SE OK, I can assure you that the bear population is thriving in my neck of the woods. My families cabin in the hills north of Sardis Lake gets busted into by bears at least once a year. I can also assure that the people in that part of the state ARE harvesting problem bears already, might as well make it legal ASAP.

I'd be harvesting bears that were breaking into my cabin too...or any other living creatures for that matter.
    Hunting and Fishing...what else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkes View Post
    My families cabin in the hills north of Sardis Lake gets busted into by bears at least once a year.
    Do you fish Sardis a lot? I've only fished it once (In a tournament with oucorry) but I really liked the lake.

I noodle a lot in the lake, the creeks that flow in to the lake and the nearby kiamichi river but i dont fish much with rod and reel on the lake.

Interesting. I never would have pegged you a noodler.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkes View Post
    I noodle a lot in the lake, the creeks that flow in to the lake and the nearby kiamichi river but i dont fish much with rod and reel on the lake.
    I don't believe you. You're too much of a ninnie to noodle.
    Take care of our Forests. The animals I like to kill live there.